Thursday, March 10, 2005

An Old Dream

When I was 11 or 12 I had a dream that I was walking through the Walmart parking lot. It was night, so the lights in the parking lot were on, and it had just rained, so the pavement was wet. The lights shinging on the wet pavement made it look like water. In my dream, I thought, "Cool! It looks like I'm walking on water!" And then I realized that it was water, and that I was walking on it. Just like Peter. Just like Jesus.
It was the most amazing feeling, and it was so intensely real that when I woke up I was completely disoriented. And so disappointed to only be lying in bed and not actually walking on water.
I remember very few of my dreams the next morning, much less years later. (In fact, I can think of only one other dream that I still remember.) This one was so real that I sometimes feel like it actually happened, that it's a memory of something I did once rather than a dream I had once.
Ever since that dream, walking on water is something I've wanted to do again, but awake, not dreaming. There were so many times when I was lifeguarding at camp one summer that I was so tempted to just step off the end of the dock and go strolling across the lake. I never did (there were lives to guard), but I often thought about what it would feel like.
I imagine the water as cool and smooth as silk under my feet, but walking on it would be almost like walking on a trampoline...not bouncy but resilient. I don't imagine that I'd get very far. I'd probably pull a Peter and go splashing into the water.
But still, to have walked on water, even if only so briefly.... Can you imagine?

1 comment:

loofrin said...

i've had a few of those kind of dreams, but mine dealt with a bunson burner, a greek new testement and a big vat of water. i'll have to tell you about it sometime. walking on water would been a great idea for a lifeguard. it would saved a lot of holdin on to those goofy red floatie things we needed to carry around with us, don't ya think?