Saturday, March 26, 2005

Holy Saturday Thoughts

Last night I went to my childhood church for Good Friday Services. The pastor of my childhood gave the sermon, and it was one of those that hits you right where you are and reminds you of what life is about. It was especially poignant last night. On Maundy Thursday last year my pastor's wife died, and as I watched him throughout the service, I could see that it was weighing on him. How could it not? The sermon was titled "Learning how to Die," and it was about learning how to die so that we can learn how to live.
I was convicted. I have not lived as I should. I have falled so short of living as I should.
But then I took Communion, and remember what this weekend is all about.... Jesus, and how he willingly went to the cross. For me. Because I fall short.
Tomorrow I'll go to church and be reminded of the rest of the story, my favorite part of the story. Resurrection, and Christ's triumph over sins. For me. So that I can live triumphantly.
Isn't our God so great?!

2 comments:

loofrin said...

yeah, he is. i am reminded of this fact everytime i pray and ask for forgiveness of sins that i asked for forgiveness the last time i prayed. after i commune i often have a hard time keeping myself reverent, i often find myself wanting to jump and click my heals (in purley a symbolic sense-- i'd probably hurt myself if i did that for real).

loofrin said...

i'm sorry, but i must admit this: everytime i see the title to this one i can't help but think of batman and robin... you know "holy saturday thoughts, batman!"