Saturday, March 12, 2005

God's Newest Gift to Austin

Yesterday evening I discovered the most amazing new place in Austin...a new Half-Priced Bookstore. It has to be the biggest Half-Priced Books I've ever been in. When I walked through the doors, I had to make myself keep walking and not just stop and stare in awe. I think one of the cashiers noticed my wonderment and probably had a good laugh at my expense. I don't care, though, this place deserves the appreciation of booklovers. It had a large section of rare & collectible books...really old books that have been loved. Those are my favorite kinds of books. Old ones, with inscriptions on the inside covers and writing in the margins.
My parents gave me three such books for Christmas. I was with Mom when she bought them at a used bookstore. The woman who owned the store knew the history of the books, which makes them even cooler to me. They're all poetry: Shelley, Tennyson, and Browning, and they had belonged to an English professor at Baylor, and they have her notes scribbled all over them. The Browning has an article pasted in the back of it about a trip the professor took to England where she visited the places Browning had lived and written. Very cool stuff....

So, yeah, I'm a big nerd.

In other news...hello from Memphis. One thing I like about hotels is unlimited Internet access. I spent some time this evening flipping through the CUA blogring on Xanga. Got distracted on the LCMS blogring....found a few of my applicants. That was kind of fun. It's an interesting way to gather info. Hmm...just confirmed it again: I'm a big NERD. But, and this is fun, I managed to find my brother. Who knew he had a blog?!

3 comments:

loofrin said...

which halfprice was it? i used to spend countless hours (and money) in the hpb on quadalope (i know i spelled that wrong). there are three or four hpb in austin, just like there are 3 or 4 barnes and noble... the coolest bookstore, though as far as i was concerned was bookpeople on lamar. have fun in memphis. say hi to king for me. lol

Sherrah said...

It's a brand-spankin'-new one at Lamar & Koenig. I think I heard that they moved the Guadalupe location to this one.

Nick said...

you should try this new book place, its called the library. some call it free books.

the guadalupe location did not move. that is a new store on koenig.