Sunday, November 20, 2005

Pledges

Today was Pledge Sunday at church.

I don't like Pledge Sunday much.

It's not that I mind making a pledge...I don't mind at all. Knowing that I've committed to giving so much money to church each month keeps me from spending that money on something else.

What bothers me about Pledge Sunday is the way it's handled. In the couple of years I've been a member at this church, it hasn't bothered me, but this morning it did.

Pastor's sermon started out great. He talked about giving time and talent, giving yourself, etc. And then, towards the end, someone stood up at the back of the church and said, "Excuse me, pastor, but aren't you forgetting someting?" It was totally planned...obvious that he was reading from a script. He proceeded to tell everyone about how we're also supposed to give our money. Maybe it's just me, but the way he said it seemed to nullify everything else pastor had said...as though if we don't give enough money it doesn't matter how much time and talent we give. He said that our faith can be measured by what percentage of our income we give, and he tried to back that up with scripture. I can't remember what scripture he used, but I have a problem with that statement. Does that mean that because I don't give 10% of my income, I don't have enough faith? Does that mean my faith is less than that of someone who does give 10%?

And how do you quantify faith, anyways?

So I put my envelope in the offering plate as it passed, and I made my pledge, and I felt guilty about it. Because it's not 10%. I wish it was. I wish I was able to give 15%, or more. In this matter, it's not my faith that lacks, it's my checkbook.

I left church feeling guilty, judged, and angry. That man asked me to put a dollar amount on my faith. I've been having a conversation with God about this all day, trying to figure out if he is asking me to do more. No answer has been reached yet. I'd like to be able to give more money to church.... I'd like to be able to give money to Camp Lone Star.... I'd also like to get out of debt....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sad when the Church tries to quantify the unseen, unknown aspects of Faith. I think what matters is making the Church as a whole better than it was by your participation. God gives more commands and instruction on how to participate in a life with Him than how to give money.

Ask yourself if the congregation is better for the time and energy you have given it that can't be bought. Enthusiasmn and passion for ministry cannot be found in a catalog or bought on e-Bay.

I believe if Faith can be measured, it can only be done by self reflection and the knowledge that your gifts are worthy only because they were made freely and under grace. The gifts don't reflect faith, your life does. I'm sorry you felt judged when the Church lives under grace.

loofrin said...

Oh, wow, I totally understand this entry. I might have walked out of the service.

I know exactly how you feel though about wanting to 1. give to the church freely and 2. get out of debt.

Luke 21:1-4
Malach 3:10

Don't feel guilty about what you give. Feel blessed that you are able to give. God wants us to give freely, not out of obligation.

Blessings to you Miss Sherrah. Have a happy holiday.

Peace,

Derek said...

Hey, Sherrah, just wanted to say that I felt the same way about that sermon. Before the guilting began, Pastor was talking about how everything we have comes from God -- this would have been a great time to mention that our spiritual life is actually NOT dependent on works (e.g., giving money to the church), but instead that we freely receive new life from Christ when we put our faith in Him. And even that faith is a gift of God (Eph. 2:8-9) that we could not merit or earn.

But instead of taking the obvious rode to preaching the Gospel, we got a heavy-handed message about giving money! Talk about dropping the ball! It was basically a message of works righteousness -- "The amount you give to the church is a pretty good measure of your spiritual life" (this is a quote, more or less). So if I give more, that will make me closer to God? So my relationship with God is somehow dependent on me? Well, crap, I thought Christ fully accomplished my reconciliation with the Father through His atoning death, but I guess there's more to it than that.

Yeah, right. This is exactly the kind of message you'd expect to hear in an evangelical church drifting further away from the cross. I was incensed to hear it in our church. Not sure what to do about it, though... Maybe complaining on the internet will help! ;-)

Anonymous said...

This is infuriating! That pastor should be told to read Walther's Law and Gospel. Twice.

Seriously, no Lutheran worth the paper his degree is printed on should get away with such a sermon.

This is the whole reason we ARE Lutherans. Because we don't buy into this works righteousness crap that distracts from the Gospel.

I hope the sermons are generally better than this!

Bunnie Diehl

loofrin said...

ohhhh... wow... you gotta comment from bunnie! you go, grrrrl!