Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Jesus is coming again someday...

Could be tomorrow, could be today...

Have you ever wondered what you would do if you knew Jesus was coming back within the next twelve hours? All cynicism and doubt aside...if someone told you that Jesus was coming back today, and you believed it, what would you do?

I don't know if it was the influence of Advent sermons talking about Jesus' return, or if it was the spaghetti and garlic bread I had for dinner last night, or the glass of wine and slice of gingerbread that I had as a late night snack...or a combination of all three...but I had a dream about this last night.

I dreamt that someone told me and everyone else at work that Jesus was coming back that day at 11:30 pm sharp. I thought, "Yes, Jesus is coming back tonight." Everyone else at work believed it, too. We even put it on the calendar: "11:30 pm--Jesus coming back". And then we left work, because work is really the last place you want to spend your last hours before Jesus comes back.

I went home and cleaned my apartment. (Everyone knows that it is imperative to have a clean apartment when Jesus comes back...he might want to come in for a cup of tea.) As I cleaned my apartment, I was also praying: "God, I'd like to see Jesus and all, but it'd be really great if he didn't come back today. I just started dating this really nice guy and I'd really like to see if it's going to go anywhere, and if Jesus comes back, I'm not going to have the chance to do that. So, can't you just wait to come back?"

Then, finally, it was almost 11:30 pm, and I was outside waiting, sitting at a picnic table with my computer in front of me. At 11:35 Jesus still hadn't come, and I was thinking, "HA! He listened to me! He's not coming back tonight after all!" Then I got an email from Lee, asking a question about work (of all things), so I emailed him back the answer and also said, "So I see you're still awake, too.... :)," and I'm still thinking that Jesus isn't coming back. Then I happen to look up at the sky.

And all of a sudden, a light starts growing, and there was Jesus...standing in the sky with pink and gold glory lights streaming around him, and his golden hair curling on his shoulders. His hands were held out at his waist, palms out, and he looked like he was going to step right off the clouds.

I stood up, because you shouldn't be sitting down when Jesus comes back, and my first thought was, "Dang, he came back! So much for having another date." And then I thought, "Wow, it looks just like the Sunday School pictures always showed."

And then I woke up. I looked around and thought, "Huh. Only a dream. I guess Jesus hasn't actually come back. Oh, well."

It's incredibly sacrilegious, I know, but as I was getting ready for work this morning, I couldn't help laughing about it. I think it's one of the funniest dreams I've ever had.

2 comments:

MD said...

I never knew you had a blog -- what you find when you are bored on a Wednesday night.

loofrin said...

"I went home and cleaned my apartment. (Everyone knows that it is imperative to have a clean apartment when Jesus comes back...he might want to come in for a cup of tea.)" Don't forget clean undies... you'll need those, too.

This just made me chuckle, thanks for this.