Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Brothers

I always wanted an older brother. I had a friend in jr. high and high school who had an older brother (who, by the way, was HOT). He always watched out for her and took care of her and was nice to her annoying friends. And I wanted an older brother to do those things for me…not that I needed taking care of. I just liked the idea of having someone who would stand up for me and protect me if I ever did need it.
I never got that older brother. (Big surprise there, huh?) I ended up with three younger brothers. (The picture was taken 5 years ago. They're all a lot taller than me now.) I am finding, though, that as my younger brothers get older, they get more protective of me. It really strikes me as funny, especially that the oldest of the three is being protective. Josh and I haven't been exceptionally close in a long time, and we don't exactly talk a whole lot, but yesterday, I think he was ready to drive to Austin and start knocking heads together on my behalf.

My car has was in the body shop for about five weeks being put back together after the wreck I had in May. Five weeks is a long time to be without a car, and it was very frustrating, but I finally got it back yesterday evening. I called home to tell my family I finally got my car back. It was Josh's birthday, so he was there and I talked to him for a minute...the whole "Happy Birthday" etc. thing. While we're talking, he asks who these people are who've had my car for so long. I told him I got it back, yada yada, say goodbye, then talk to Mom.
Apparently they'd been talking (I think they were taking bets to see how long it took for me to get really mad)... and Josh got outraged that they'd had my car so long. "Someone's got to do something," he said. He asked why Mom & Dad hadn't come to Austin to take care of this for me. I seriously think he was ready to give the people at the body shop a call. Mom had to remind him that I'm 27 years old and perfectly capable of taking care of myself and that if I wanted their help, I'd ask for it. It really kind of amuses me. I almost feel like I've finally gotten that big brother I always wanted.
In other brother news, the middle one has let me in on a secret. If Mom finds out that I know about this and haven't told her, I'm going to be feeling some heat. (Seth, if you're reading this, TELL HER SOON!)
And my baby brother (who I'm sure totally appreciates that I refer to him as such) is jr. staffing at Camp Lone Star this week & next.

No comments: