Monday, April 11, 2005

Keep Austin Weird

Having lived in Austin for about 9 years now, I've become accustomed to seeing the occasional bizarre sight. Even so, the bizarre never fails to make me shake my head in wonderment.
This morning, as I was driving to work, I saw a man walking down the street wearing a red, ankle-length cape with a hood covering his head and face. If I had been downtown, or even close to Concordia, I don't think I would have even noticed, but this was in North Austin near my apartment complex, which is a fairly normal community.
A couple weeks ago as I was driving home, I saw a line of vacuum cleaners in the front yard of a duplex. There were about eight of them standing in a straight line in a meticulously mown lawn.
I think my favorite, though, is something I saw several years ago. It was dusk, and I passed a man standing on a street corner in true Superman stance...feet shoulder-width apart, hands on his hips, chin raised as he surveyed all of 51st Street. He was wearing sweat pants, with a pair of denim cut-offs--very short denim cut-offs--on top, and a t-shirt of some sort. The crowning glory was his cape...a blanket tied around his neck like little kids do.
I love Austin!

1 comment:

loofrin said...

probably my favorite weird moment in austin was seeing a man tatooed as a blue puzzle (he is a part of the jim rose flying circus, i believe... he lives in austin, goes by the name enigma) drinking coffee one of the coffee shops on the drag. living in austin certainly made living in general more pleasant, don't you think?